Norton Healthcare’s engagement survey results went from the 55th percentile to 83rd in the healthcare market.
During the past five years, Norton Healthcare has been on a journey. A nationally recognized healthcare system, this Louisville, Kentucky-based organization is now experiencing the results of what a full commitment to strategic recognition delivers. At a time when engagement results for the healthcare market have dropped nationwide, Norton Healthcare survey results have gone up significantly. They’ve also seen additional increases in first year employee groups for both nursing and overall employees and have won an Excellence Award based on HCAHPS (Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems) performance.
It’s these results that Norton Healthcare’s HR leaders attribute to an ongoing partnership and collaboration with O.C. Tanner and the success of their recognition solution: “N Recognition of You.”
Today, business partners across the organization ask to run their initiatives through this platform—everything from customer compliments, employee referrals, safety, wellness, compliance, and more.
Executive leadership challenged all leadership teams to implement retention strategies to move employees from being satisfied to fully engaged.
Powered by O.C. Tanner’s cloud-based technology, N Recognition of You provides an integrated, centralized solution aligned with Norton Healthcare’s values and standards. All employees have access to recognize every aspect of life at work—from onboarding to retirement, and from small wins to big accomplishments.
“The number of recognition moments captured in our first year is what we now capture in a matter of weeks.”
WHAT MADE THE DIFFERENCE?
A dedicated Employee Experience team was created that hosted employee focus groups and leveraged O.C. Tanner’s events, training, solution design, and creative expertise. They also looked at what leading organizations (even outside of the healthcare market) were doing.
- Executive buy-in and engaged senior leadership
- Dedicated team focused on setting and implementing a strategic plan
- Passionate, day-to-day champion and program administrator
- Full solution platform to target all aspects of employees life at work
- Tracking reporting and metrics to create targeted improvement plans for groups where engagement is down
- Training done in leader engagement sessions and at the department level
- Monthly leader communication campaigns and all employee recognition blitz campaigns to encourage giving
- Everyone at all levels knows what good recognition looks and feels like
RESULTS DELIVERED FOR NORTON HEALTHCARE
- Engagement survey results went from the 55th percentile to 83rd in the healthcare market
- One location has won a national award for having top HCAHPS scores for each reporting year
- 1 hospital that is Magnet-certified
- Overall turnover in top 70 percentile
“We feel like the O.C. Tanner team is part of our own work team. They understand our culture and our needs and are always available to brainstorm ideas and help with our overall recognition strategy.”