Everyone starts their New Year with big, usually unachievable, New Year’s resolutions: going to the gym every day, being debt free, getting promoted. This year, make some smaller resolutions that can lead to big wins in both your personal and work life.
1. Find your purpose. Whether it’s what you strive for at work or personally.
Write down 3 ways you want to impact the world – work, family, friends
Read about the history of your company or founder to better understand your organisation’s purpose
2. Make your own opportunities. If you are frustrated with where you are in your career, take steps to change your course.
Learn a new skill (like Excel or presentation skills)
Attend a conference that interests you
Ask your company for internal lateral job opportunities
Join a project at work that will stretch you
3. Look for new ways to lead. You don’t have to be an executive or manager to be a leader.
Volunteer to lead a new project at work
Become a mentor or coach to someone new
Foster positive relationships at work to improve collaboration and camaraderie on your team
4. Focus on your overall wellbeing. Look for small, easy things that can add up to big changes.
Go to bed 30 minutes early on Sundays
Take a walk instead of getting an afternoon treat twice a week
Mediate for just 5 minutes after work each day to destress
5. Empower yourself to do great work. Give yourself permission to own your personal successes and achievements.
Set a new goal at work for yourself once a month
Choose 1 risk or failure to be proud of each week
Write down how your work contributes to the world and post it somewhere you will see it
6. Treat yourself. Appreciate yourself, your big and little wins, your achievements over time.
Choose 1 thing at work to celebrate each week
Choose 1 thing outside of work to celebrate each week
Appreciate a coworker or family member once a week
Adopt one (or all 6!) of these New Year’s resolutions for 2018, and start to see how small changes can lead you to do great things. Happy New Year!
Your browser is out of date and may not be able to properly display our website. A list of modern browsers is below; simply click an icon to go to the browser's download page.